Friday, April 22

The Birth Story

Although Lucas' birth didn't begin as the same production of Olivia's birth since his delivery was induced, it certainly ended with a little taste of drama that has my husband appreciating my worth (even more) as the mother of his kids.

Our induction was scheduled for 5:15 a.m. Wednesday, March 30, 2011--Lucas' due date and the only day of the week that my OB was on duty for delivery as she rotates with 3 other doctors in the practice. Since she didn't get to deliver Olivia, we gave it another try with Lucas.  The only catch was I had to deliver within a narrow window before she went off duty.

We arrived to the hospital about 15 minutes late, because once again CCD couldn't decide what to wear. You heard me. AND you'd think after all of the pondering he would come up with something thoughtful or polished. Nope. He wore his favorite madras shorts, business school fleece, a faded, tattered marathon souvenir t-shirt, and top siders.
By 6:30 a.m. I was settled in my birthing room watching the morning news.  Upon arrival to the hospital I was still 2+cm. There was no way Lucas was making an appearance anytime soon despite my best attempts to get things going by being super active the day before.

By 6:45 a.m. the doctor-on duty (not my OB yet) broke my water, and increased the pitocin drip. I asked for a the stadol almost immediately and took a nice little nap. Mmm. It was wonderful. Contractions increased and remained regular and dilation progressed consistently and all the while Lucas' heart rate remained unchanged and completely unphased by all of the medical practice occurring to evict him.

By 10:45 a.m. I was 4 cm and ready for epidural, so I took it! CCD commenced to chatting up real estate with my OB (which they always do during my usual doctor visits) and then chatted up investments with the anesthesiologist. CCD even gave the man a business card---just after he inserted a rather large tube into my spine! Hello!? Focus on me and this baby, people.

We love our doc!
By 12:39 p.m. I was at 6 cm, zero station  (pitocin increased again) and CCD left to grab lunch and some Tums. After all of the nonchalant chatting, his nerves suddenly hit him. Go figure.

By 1:30 p.m. my doctor's shift was OVER but no baby yet. Once again, my OB wouldn't be delivering my child--but instead another doctor--the lead doctor of the practice--would. With this shift change I have now met and been treated by all doctors in the practice. And I like them all!

By 2:15 p.m. I'm feeling the head pressure in position to push. I'm also watching the contractions go off the charts and quicken in frequency--but luckily feel nothing thanks to that epi. I call the nurse in and knowing my history of quick pushing with Olivia she tells me to wait for the doctor.

By 2:20 p.m. the doctor arrives and we're ready to start pushing. The first contraction comes and we push. We wait for a second contraction we push again and Lucas Truman Cooper arrives at 2:28 p.m.

See my birthmark? Left thigh. Mommy loves it.

CCD cutting the cord with his tattered shirt.

And just like Olivia's birth, I had to force CCD to pick up the "nice camera" and "real camcorder" and use them instead of his freaking blackberry camera for which he hoards pictures that he never downloads or backups anywhere. Burns me up just thinking about how many memories bite the dust when he upgrades his phone every 12-18 months.

Lucas' heart rate was steady and calm during all of the induction and labor, but just after delivery his heart rate shot up and the nurse gave him to me right away for skin-to-skin to regulate his heart rate down. I took the opportunity to try to latch him on to nurse. He latched and his little heart went right to normal rate.

Soon after Olivia arrived with Charm City Grandma, and Charm City Great-Grandma and we were able to take our first family picture--although Lucas is hidden and nursing.
Notice that Olivia donated her "Big Sister' sticker to Daddy as soon as she saw him.
I am not sure what my hair is doing or why I have that facial expression, but hey it captured the moment.

About an hour and a half after delivery the nurse gave me my choice of emptying my bladder. I chose to try to get up and walk to the bathroom since the epidural was wearing off. She helped me stand up, we practiced walking in place and then we started toward the bathroom when about halfway there, I told CCD we needed his extra help--and apparently in the next second my eyes rolled back, my face went limp, my color faded, and I fainted right then and there. CCD was already up to help me and caught me just in time to get me back to the bed. I woke up to him telling me to wake up and then rushing to get Olivia out of the room as all of the L&D nurses rushed into my room. I was OUT of it. I thought I was asleep at home in my own bed and he was trying to wake me up and I was pissed. I love my sleep. The first thing I said when I regained consciousness was "man, that was a good sleep" which the nurses found hilarious.
You see, this is what happens when your distended bladder presses on your recently emptied uterus. Yep. It scares your husband A LOT.  I will never forget how CCD looked at me, petrified that I had fainted and for an instant had possibly left him with two kids. We laugh about it now, but he was visibly shaken on both fronts. He was also upset that I had opted to walk to the bathroom with dignity instead of taking the bedpan option. But now with this fainting episode I had no choice but to take the dreaded catheter. Ugh.
And in that moment CCD and I realized that having 2 kids is truly a blessing with which we can be completely satisfied.  With two healthy pregnancies and deliveries--neither of us will ever take any part of the miracle of the entire childbirth experience AND recovery for granted ever again.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats again! We can't wait to meet him! JSL is always up for a "play" date! :-)