Wednesday, August 26

The Birth Story

With a smooth labor and delivery with no complications--there aren't too many exciting details (all thanks be to God) so I thought I would tell the story by pictures. Here goes..

On Monday, August 17th, I woke up around 6:30 a.m. or so to a persistent pain that I thought could be contractions. I was somewhat in disbelief after having had false labor previously and after hearing stories about women who thought they were in labor and it was just mother nature calling if you know what I mean. All the while though I was emailing my POWs just to confirm what I thought I was feeling. Thanks ladies.

Anyway, I had planned to go into the office Monday for at least a half-day to tie up loose ends like put on my "away" voicemail recording, etc. Charm City Daddy kept telling me I was crazy for even thinking of it, particularly after I had taken Thursday and Friday off b/c I wasn't feeling like myself and was worried that if I did too much activity Charm City Baby wouldn't wait for her daddy to get home from his business trip on Saturday.
By 9:30 a.m. I had resigned to the fact that I may not make it in to the office as the contractions were coming every 5 minutes (sometimes less). I thought, "So I'll be a little late getting in" I decided I should "walk it off" to take my mind off of the pain and so I decide to get dressed. Just as I lift my left leg, my water breaks.

I knew what it was as soon as it happened and calmly looked up at CCD (who was still in the bed telling me I wasn't in labor) and said, "water just broke." His response? "No it didn't!" I rush to the bathroom. He continues, (this time smiling in excitement) "No it didn't, babe!?!"
I smile and tell him to call the doctor as I had been timing them on my iPod app Labor Mate(VERY handy btw). Then I emailed him the "contraction summary log" (gotta love technology). The doctor says, if water is broken I must come to the hospital. Then things start to get funny.

I immediately decide I'm going through with my shower, bed making and normal morning routine as I know could be in the hospital for a while--and who wants to come home with a new baby and unmade bed, anyway?

In a frenzy, CCD starts a marathon of wardrobe changes (about 4). The man was so nervous he couldn't decide what to wear for the birth of his child. Cracked me up. Then to his credit he grabbed the Flip Mino camcorder I gifted him at the baby shower and got recording---me in the SHOWER!! I kid you not. Then he recorded the Au Pair's reaction to the fact that I was in labor and it was time to go to the hospital..priceless.

We took our time pulling everything together and about an 45 minutes later, the au pair and I had packed up the car and we were standing outside waiting for CCD! Where is he? ContractionS (plural) later he finally emerges from the house in his final outfit and the camcorder with a BIG smile. I couldn't get upset.

In the very short 10 minute (6 mile) ride to the hospital, CCD managed to call,text, and email a few hundred people. In the meantime I wanted him to focus on the road and avoid the potholes. HELLO!

Here he is talking to his mom...

And here's the au pair riding along in the backseat peeking over the soon-to-be-occupied car seat...

We pulled right up to the valet at Labor & Delivery at about 10:30 a.m., checked-in and then had a few minutes of down time to get some last minute bump pictures in the lobby.

Soon after the photo, I was admitted after a quick check with the doctor confirmed that I was 2 cm dialated, my water had broken "membranes were ruptured" or something like that and therefore confined to bed until baby arrived. I was wheeled to our private l&d room at about 11:00 a.m....

My contractions continued to intensify.
One minute I'd be like this...

Then 2-3 minutes later I'd be like THIS...

(that was my "don't talk to me, don't touch me" face.)

My mom (dad had a business trip in Chicago) and brother also joined the party...

(notice the blankets as CCD kept the room thermostat super cold as to "cut back on germs.")

Then everyone abandoned me and had lunch in the hospital cafeteria-- I had ice chips and a few more of these (contractions, that is) in solitude...

(Topline is baby's heart rate. Steady. Second line shows my contractions. Not so steady.

It's all good b/c by 1 p.m. (and 3 cm) I got a nice little narcotic shot of stadol to "take the edge off the pain" and by 4 p.m. (and 6 cm) my epidural was administered. B.L.I.S.S.

This is when I felt up to Facebooking and emailing, and did.
At almost 7:30 p.m. the doctor checked me and I was about 9 cm. They checked me again at 8:15 or so and I had reach the full 10 cm and they said I could push "whenever I was ready."

Of course I was ready! I blew through about 5 contractions motivated to meet my little girl and avoid the "conehead" baby delivery.
Charm CityDaddy kept me smiling during the pushing because he pushed too! "C'mon babe, We're about to bring a baby up in this world! PUSH! PUSH! PUSH!" His face turned red and everything. I wanted to laugh, but had to concentrate.
At 8:43 p.m. Miss Olivia Grace made her entrance...

And at that moment all three of us, mom, dad and baby were crying.
Daddy was immediately up in her grill from the get-go (and has been there ever since)...

Then the celebratory pics began...

CCD refused to let me put my makeup on. boooo!

Then we got silly with the poses and champagne!

Over the next couple of days we argued over who we thought she most looked like. CCD won.

But she has my feet!

By Wednesday, it was time to go.

Her first car ride...
We were welcomed home to a clean house full of roses, big "It's a Girl!" balloons in the front yard, a happy dog, and a fried chicken dinner. Thanks Mom!

1 comment:

  1. Um...who wears a dress to come home in and looks like they didn't have a baby! CHILD PLEASE!! the pictures and I am so happy for all of you! Annabelle can't wait to meet Olivia!!